Cathodic Protection (CP) is an important method of preventing corrosion on buried metal pipelines. But it must be applied at the correct level. Every pipeline operator must carry out regular measurements of CP – at rectifiers and tests points (in impressed current systems) and at sacrificial anodes (in galvanic systems).
Some key pipelines - crossing main roads, rivers or centres of population - may have additional protection against corrosion in the form of a sleeve filled with an inert gas (Nitrogen). The gas pressure in the sleeve has to be maintained above a specific threshold, which requires regular checks.
Collecting and analysing field measurements is labour-intensive and costly. And (very importantly) they can only be reactive – problems can lie undetected for long periods, during which the pipeline is insufficiently protected.
Abriox has developed the MERLIN system, initially to monitor and remotely communicate cathodic protection levels but now extended to include monitoring the pressure within a Nitrogen sleeve.
MERLIN takes measurements automatically, analyses and stores the data and transmits it wirelessly to a central location. The system is proactive - identifying potential corrosion problems wherever and whenever they occur and alerting the operator immediately.
MERLIN has major economic, operational, safety and environmental benefits:
• Reducing the cost of data collection
• Improving the quality of data
• Reducing health and safety risks to technicians
• Increasing the efficiency of Integrity teams
• Zero carbon footprint for data collection
MERLIN Remote Cathodic Protection Monitors are commonly used at:
• Rectifiers - measuring Electrical Supply, Voltage Output, Current Output, ON and OFF Potentials
• Test Stations, CP Posts and Riser Posts - measuring pipe to soil, OFF Potentials, Coupon Currents
• On-shore Tanks, Solar Stations, Sacrificial Anodes, Isolation Joints and Critical Bonds
The Abriox MERLIN system is your complete solution for 24/7 cathodic protection data access and control. A completely wireless remote monitoring system for the oil, gas, petrochemical pipeline protection industries. We believe it is the most cost-effective remote cathodic protection monitoring solution available today!
To learn more about cathodic protection click here